LOS ANGELES (CNS) – Japanese director Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s drama “Drive My Car” was named Best Picture of 2021 by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association on Saturday.
The three-hour film is based on a short story by Haruki Murakami and is about the relationship between an aging actor and his young driver.
The review group also honored Penelope Cruz as Best Actress for “Parallel Mothers”, named Simon Rex as Best Actor for “Red Rocket” and awarded Jane Campion the Best Director for “The Power of the Dog”.
The awards were announced on Twitter. All the winners will be honored at a ceremony in 2022.
Here is the list of winners announced on Saturday:
- Better picture: “Drive my car”
- Best actor: Simon Rex, “Red Rocket”.
- Best actress: Penelope Cruz, “Parallel Mothers”.
- Best director: Jane Campion, “The Power of the Dog.”
- Best Supporting Actor: (tie) Vincent Lindon, “Titane”, and Kodi Smit-McPhee, “The Power of the Dog”.
- Best Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose, “West Side Story”.
- Best scenario: Ryusuke Hamaguchi and Takamasa Oe, “Drive my car”.
- Best photography: Ari Wegner, “The Power of the Dog.”
- Best Editing: Joshua Pearson, “Summer of Soul”.
- Best production design: Steve Saklad, “Barb and Star are going to Vista Del Mar.”
- Best Music / Score: Alberto Iglesias, “Parallel mothers”
- Best Documentary / Non-Fiction: “The summer of the soul.”
- Best animated film: “To flee.”
- New generation: (tie) Shatara Michelle Ford, âTest Patternâ and Tatiana Huezo, âPrayers for Stolen Peopleâ.
LAFCA is also presenting Mel Brooks with its 2021 Career Excellence Award.
“Mel Brooks is a national treasure and a comedic film legend,” said LAFCA President Claudia Puig of the 95-year-old writer, director, actor and songwriter best known for the comedic hits “Blazing Saddles” “,” Young Frankenstein “and” The Producers. ”
Puig added: “He not only made us laugh out loud, but he broke comedic barriers and paved the way and influenced generations of filmmakers after him.”
Last year, LAFCA named “Small Ax”, a British anthology film series created and directed by Steve McQueen, as the best film of 2020.
Founded in 1975, LAFCA comprises professional Los Angeles-based film critics working in print and electronic media.
On December 3, the New York Film Critics Circle also named “Drive My Car” as best film of 2021.